Hi, I'm Max Glenister.

This website is a collection of all of the things I've been doing with my 3D Printer.

You'll find lots of examples of badly modelled things, poorly printed things, and a lot of wasted plastic!

An Audio Amp v1.0

My wife and I like to have the radio playing all night in our bedroom. Our radio only has one mono speaker and it sits on one side of the bed which means for it to be audible on both sides of the bed one person has to have a loud speaker next to their pillow.

The radio has an AUX port on the back so you can plug in some headphones, so when I replaced my computer speakers recently I decided to save two of the old speakers to hook up to this AUX port and bring equal volume to each side of the bed.

This was fine for a little while but we had one problem: the speakers were unpowered and so not very loud – even with the volume of the radio at the maximum! So I decided to make an amp.

I bought an inexpensive 15W amp board, some RCA jacks and 12V DC power adapters with connectors from Amazon.

The amp is just a barebones board without any enclosure. I took measurements of the amp board and of the other various components I used, and then went to work in Tinkercad.

I did a couple of prints of the first 10mm with a couple of tweaks here and there, until everything fit perfectly.

With the final measurements modeled and the whole thing printed I painted the final print with some black Rustoleum spray paint.

I had some problem with mounting the RCA jacks on the back of the case and the position of the AUX-in port wasn’t ideal, also the walls of the whole thing were a bit too thin, but it turned out alright and worked nicely. I’ll definitely be revisiting the design in the future.